Common Causes of Electrical Fires in Homes

Common Causes of Electrical Fires in Homes

Top causes of electrical fires and how to prevent them.

Every time you flip a switch, turn on the TV or use the toaster, you put your home’s electrical wiring to use. If the wiring is damaged, faulty, or old, it could cause a fire. Unfortunately, almost 54,000 homes are damaged by electrical fires each year across the nation. To protect your home, learn about the top causes of electrical fires in the home and how to prevent them.

Faulty Sockets/Appliances

Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical plug sockets and dated appliances that have been around for a while. It is better to be safe than sorry – don’t use an appliance with a worn cord, as this could send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.

Lights

The lights and light fixtures are another common reasons for electrical fires. You may think that it won’t do much harm, but fitting a bulb with a wattage too high for the lamps and light fixtures can spark a fire. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never exceed this amount. Be mindful not to place cloths over lampshades, too, as this can heat up and start a fire.

Portable Heaters

When winter approaches, the portable heaters get put to use in homes. Many times, people put space heaters too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, and rugs. If you do use this type of heater, be mindful to place it away from objects, keep it on stable ground, and turn it off when not in use.

Wiring

The older your home is, the more likely the wiring has aged as well. As we add more technology into our homes, keep up with latest appliances, and plug in a few more cell phone chargers, the old wiring cannot always keep up with the new surge of power. Outdated wiring has a higher chance of heating up quickly, sparking, and catching fire. The best plan of action is to call an electrician if you suspect your wiring is outdated and needs to be replaced.

Overloaded Circuits

The top signs of overloaded circuits include flickering lights and frequently tripped breakers. Another side effect is heat. The circuit breaker trips to prevent overheating that could cause a fire. Over time, this can damage your wiring and eventually lead to a fire. A licensed electrician can help you in this situation. 

Homeowners insurance can help you if your home does succumb to a fire. For the homeowners insurance (please open link in a new tab) you need and deserve, contact the team at American Premier Insurance today.