Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Property Damage During Move?

As a homeowner, you should be knowledgeable on what your homeowners insurance policy covers. You may incur property damage that goes beyond what your initial policy has outlined. One of the questions you need to have a definitive answer on is whether or not your policy covers your property during a move. Your general policy may provide some protection, as well as the moving company, but this may not necessarily be the case. If you decide to purchase protection from the moving company, if any damage occurs, their policy should take precedence. You may want to add an additional rider or addendum to your personal policy that will insure your contents during the move in the event of property damage from one residence to the other. This usually called a “floater” policy and only covers your possessions during the move. Make sure you have the same protections and deductibles as you had in the first policy, and don’t forget to transfer your entire policy to the new residence as soon as your move is completed. For more information on protecting your possessions in the event of a move and the coverage available, contact American Premier Insurance.